While searching for new version of WordPress breadcrumbs plugin, I stumbed upon something I needed for a long time. One of the issues I had with using WordPress as CMS was its frontsite navigation customization possibilities. Yes, we have default wp_list_pages() function with some options, and yes, we have wp_list_cats() function with options on its own. But, what if I wanted to make sidebar navigation to be a combination of pages and categories? This was the problem where I used a lot of custom coding in sidebar.php or header.php file. I found an easier methond with NAVT, WordPress Navigation List Plugin.
NAVT plugin is a tool that gives you full control of your website’s navigation. It gives you the ability to tailor unique site navigation from your pages and categories using a drag-and-drop interface, arrange the items within a group in any arbitrary order. Navigation groups may be composed of any combination of pages, categories, Authors, (Editors, Contributors, Subscribers), internal/external links and list dividers. If you have CSS skills, you may style this anyway you want.
- Navigation items can be duplicated and may appear in more than one group. Each item (even if duplicated) can be independently configured.
- List item names (called a menu alias) can be set to a name that differs from the name used as the page title or the category name.
- Create navigation items to be displayed in one of the following format:
- Text only
- Text over graphics
- Text with side graphic
- Graphic only
- Group items can be constructed to appear as a hierarchy – parent/child relationships can be formed between all types of items.
- Navigation menus may be styled using NAVT provided CSS classes, standard Word Press classes, or NAVT will apply user specified CSS classes.
- Supports BreadCrumb navigation.
- Supports navigation trees. Clicking a parent navigation item on a page reveals all child navigation on the subsequently displayed page.
- Navigation menus can be displayed (or not displayed) on any combination of user selected posts, pages, home page, archives, 404, search pages.
- Theme integration options allow you to insert a navigation group anywhere in your theme (without editing your theme).
- Create navigation using HTML Selects. Create multiple selects in a single group by using dividers.
- Embed navigation lists inside your posts and/or pages.
- Privacy settings for all navigation items and entire groups allows you to hide navigation items in a menu if the user is not logged into your site.
- Supports Gravatars for user navigation items.
- Transparently supports Word Press widgets.
- Transparently supports K2 sidebar modules when used with the K2 theme.
- Built in help.
- Backup/Restore functionality.
- Compatible with the Word Press 2.3+ and Word Press MU
- Compatibility tested with IE6/IE7 (pc), Firefox (pc, Opera (pc), Firefox 2 (mac), Firefox 3 Beta 5 (mac), Swiftweasel