As Google announced that site speed finally became a ranking factor, the world of SEO was buzzing all around. People think their ranking positions with Magento stores will suddenly drop, but this will not be the case.
Magento community, do not panic!
1. Magento being slow is just a prejudice, a stereotype. Magento doesn’t have to be slow, here’s a tip on how to improve the speed of your Magento store. There are other things you can do to speed it up as well, just Google it. I’ve seen super fast Magento stores. It all comes down to the resource cost versus the functionality benefit when talking about Magento and it’s speed issue.
2. Rankings will not be affected a lot. Only ~1% of the index will be affected by the speed ranking factor.
3. Magento is slow when not optimized compared to some other e-commerce solutions, but not compared to the really slow sites out there that are the reason for Google’s implementation of this ranking factor.
4. This is just one of the hundreds of factors that Google takes into account when determining the ranking of a page, and it’s a minor one. Even if by some divine miracle this ranking factor affects your store, it will not pull down your ranking if other more important factors are better than what your competitors have.
5. The speed has been a ranking factor for weeks now (yes, before it was officially announced) so if you haven’t noticed a major drop in Google rankings by now, you will not.
Need help with your Magento store’s SEO? Request a quote!