Ever since it got released Magento got a lot of attention from developer and merchant community when it comes to web shops, or to put it more robustly, when it comes to eCommerce platforms. Developers love it because of its modularity, as then can (almost) do anything client asks them. Merchants love it because of the wast number of features it provides out of the box.
Here is a list I put together, to kind of emphasise the top 10 reasons to choose Magento.
- SEO friendly right out of the box – Search engine friendly URL’s, Google Site Map, Meta-information for products, categories and content pages, etc.
- Internationalization support – Support for localization, multiple currencies and tax rates. Support for accented characters and right to left text. Configurable list of allowed countries for certain features. European Union VAT-ID validation, EU cookie notification, etc.
- Enormous number of built-in eCommerce web shop related features (most than any of its PHP/open source based competitors) – Features like support for both Multi-Site and Multi-Domain setup. You can download a feature list from here http://www.magentocommerce.com/images/uploads/magento-feature-list.pdf.
- Extremely modular architecture – enables you to do deep customizations of both frontend (layouts and templates) and backend (event, observer, rewrites, grids, etc.)
- Magento’s Expert Consulting Group (not a free service, but still highly important one to have if needed)
Official Training & Professional Certification Program – Training for backend developers, frontend developers, merchants, etc. Instructor-led Training, On-Demand Training. Magento Certified Developer, Magento Certified Developer Plus, Magento Certification Directory (find a certified developer anywhere in the world).
- Security – Magento takes security very seriously and as a highly rated priority. Magento EE even comes with Secure Payment Bridge which provides PCI Data Security Standard (PCI PA-DSS).
- Magento Connect – the world’s largest eCommerce application marketplace.
- Code-level Access – open source, PHP code available for you to play with.
- Web Services API – Built in support for SOAP v1, SOAP v2, XMLRPC, REST with 3-legged OAuth 1.0a.
- Because it is awesome 🙂
That sort of sums it up. Although Magento has so much more to offer.